29 April, 2010

Close encounters of the furry kind, part I

Now that is one strange title for a blog-post. But I bet you've seen stranger things (J.K.Ritiesh? Jeyam Ravi doing a spider-man jig in Russia, Sam Anderson...ah you get the point). You must have guessed by now that this particular post deals with at least "one dog". My almost-isolated house in Tambaram is one of the most populous and popular areas for dogs. The buggers live in harmony with us poor humans and the innumerable road-side stalls. With zilch issues for food and entertainment (amongst themselves), the only thing that scratches their throat (literally) is barking!! Bark when a cycle crosses you, bark when a crow flies precariously close to you...and hell yeah, bark whenever some human dares to walk past you. Way to go doggy!!!


On one particular night, my work (yes, really!!) forced me to return home only at 11.40pm. Even though my area is beautiful and has colorful (yeah, literally) houses strewn about, it is THE location to shoot a horror film ala the Ramsays. Post 2230, the road to my house turns into a spooky alley right out of a Korean horror movie. Also, this particular alley is perfect for testing one's eyesight, as the only source of light is the moon.


And imagine poor me, staring at the black blanket of terror in front of me. As I stood there contemplating my next move, I heard a faint howl (or was that a bark??) pierce the eerie silence that hung about. I contemplated going back to office, but the stupidity of the thought pumped adrenaline though my veins. I imagined trumpets blowing behind me, an invisible audience cheering me on.... I took in a really really deep breath and took a step forward. Nothing happened. Boldened, another step ensued. Still nothing happened. Basking in the success of my courage, the steps quickly became a strut of flamboyance. There is this Murphy's Law which states, "Anything than can go wrong, will go wrong". Damn you Murphy!!!


Within seconds after my first step, I could notice a figure at some distance. The optimistic side in me dismissed it as a huge piece of white rag. But the logical side hammered in the thought that I was in trouble, deep trouble. My till-now-joyous heart started pumping blood like crazy. Within nanoseconds, my eyes adjusted to the darkness and there before me, stood a snow-white dog with snarling teeth....brrr!!


..to be continuted :o

No comments:

Post a Comment